The Careers Leader at Winterstoke Hundred Academy is Paul Gilson.
Contact: [email protected]
The Careers Programme: Overview
At Winterstoke Hundred Academy we will support our students to find their area of interest and expertise and to nurture and develop a concept we are calling ‘Grow Your Talents’. This is through our bespoke Future Intentions Programme.
Together, with our help and guidance students will develop the skills, character and experience needed to succeed in later life and make a positive difference to our society. To accomplish this ‘career readiness’ there are explicit events, activities and programmes that provide the ‘lightbulb’ moments such as visits to businesses, enterprise activities, employers and Higher Education visits to the Academy, and a wide enrichment programme.
We are strongly committed to offering a comprehensive and dynamic careers provision for our students throughout their year 7 – 13 journey. Below is our core programme:
|Year 7||Year 8||Year 9||Year 10||Year 11||Year 12||Year 13|
|Future Intentions Stage One||Future Intentions Stage Two||Future Intentions Stage Three|
|Introduction to careers with job of the week. Meet the Careers Leader Assembly and tutor-based activities.||Signing up to Careers Pilot. Understanding different careers and labour market information. Understanding how the curriculum links to different careers.||Career exploration through year 10 GCSE/BTEC option choices; including a visit to a local university.|
Transition from the Foundation (KS3) to the Personalised (KS4) phase.
|Employability Skills and a Future Intentions Day focused on employer engagement and career pathways.|
|Post 16 options; Education or apprenticeships routes explored.||PASSPORT – post 18 options, work experience, Future Intentions Week and preparing for the world of work.|
If you would like to be involved in our careers provision at Winterstoke Hundred Academy please contact Mr. Gilson, our strategic lead for careers using [email protected]. This could be anything from supporting with mock interviews, to offering business breakfast opportunities or assemblies on behalf of either yourself or your employer.
We are strongly committed to offering our students an ever-evolving careers provision encouraging regular input from local and national employers and educational institutes.
If you would like to be involved in our careers provision at Winterstoke Hundred Academy please contact Mr Gilson, our careers leader using [email protected]
We have numerous “ready to run” ways in which you can be involved including, but not limited to the following opportunities:
- Monthly business breakfasts
- Assemblies (whole school or target audience)
- Mock interviews
- Involvement with our Careers Fair.
- Offering Work Experience placements
National Careers Week may look different this year, but it can still be impactful and relevant to your students. You can use LifeSkills content as part of your week of activities to deliver practical and interactive sessions to students in all locations.
To help you get started, here’s how you could use LifeSkills as part of National Careers Week. This range of lesson plans, interactive tools and resources can be accessed as a class or by students independently through our Young People hub.
If your students want to explore the workplace further, point them to our Virtual Work Experience hub where they can learn about the skills needed in the workplace through interactive tools, films and workplace briefs. We’ve simplified our website so they won’t need to sign up to access some of our resources. Why not book a call with the team to see how you can continue to focus on employability skills in your lesson planning through LifeSkills?
· Dates: 7th – 8th April 2021 (10am – 4pm)
· Eligibility: 14 – 19 year olds interested in the renewable energy industry.
· Application Deadline: 31st March 2021
· Dates: 6th – 9th April 2021
· Eligibility: 14 – 19 year olds students studying in Devon, Plymouth or Torbay.
· Application Deadline: 17th March 2021
· Dates: 7th April 2021
· Eligibility: 14 – 19 year olds keen to find out more about a career in the airline industry.
· Application Deadline: 15th March 2021
· Dates: 6th – 8th April 2021
· Eligibility: 14 – 19 year olds keen to find out more about a career in sustainable technology.
· Application Deadline: 12th March 2021
· Green jobs in the construction industry – Graham Construction
· Dates: 8th April 2021
· Eligibility: 14 – 19 year olds interested in a career in the construction industry.
· Application Deadline: 19th March 2021
· Dates: 14th April 2021
· Eligibility: 15 – 19 year olds considering a career in government.
· Application Deadline: 7th April 2021
· Dates: 14th April 2021(10am -12am)
· Eligibility: 15 – 19 year olds interested in interested in a vocation with music performance at its heart.
· Application Deadline: 14th March 2021
· Sustainability and achieving Net-Zero by 2030 – SSE
· Dates: 6th April 2021
· Eligibility: 14 – 19 year olds keen to learn more about the energy industry.
· Application Deadline: 6th March 2021
· Dates: 22nd April 2021 (10:00am – 2:30pm)
· Eligibility: 15 – 19 year olds interested in learning about sustainability.
· Application Deadline: 25th March 2021
· Dates: 14th – 16th April 2021
· Eligibility: 14 – 19 year olds interested in a career in space technology.
· Application Deadline: 23rd March 2021